Monday, September 29, 2008

The Process Begins 9/29/08

Sorry it has been so long since I last wrote you to give an update on how Pam is doing. It has been a long week and I am sure that there are some long weeks ahead.

First off let me bring you up to date on Pam's recovery from surgery. That has been going exceptionally well. No infections and the pain is starting to subside. From Saturday (Sept. 20th)to Saturday (Sept. 27th) the pain was still ever present, kept in check only with the pain pills. Starting Sunday that pain started to subside and we are hopeful that this trend will continue. Both the surgeon for the mastectomy and the reconstructive surgeon are pleased with how things are going.

Now the good news/bad news. The good news is that the doctors feel that they got all of the cancer and the biopsy's of the lymph nodes were negative. That is a real positive. The bad news is that the cancer seems to be a very aggressive type and the doctors did not get the margins that they had hoped for. Therefore we will soon be starting chemo and various other treatments that will last for the next year. Four chemo treatments starting with the first one in about two weeks with one treatment every two weeks after that. The rest of the treatments are with some other drugs that I could not begin to tell you what they are. I'm sure I will learn them well in the very near future. We will have some hair loss and the other side affects associated with chemo.

As you would expect we are disappointed that we have to go through this process, but it is necessary to make sure that we kill any lingering cancer cells that me be lurking in the background. This is all preventative but will give us some level of confidence that we can go forward cancer free. Continue to lift us up in your prayers. Your love and support have been greatly appreciated.

Chuck

2 comments:

dottie said...

We continue to think of you and pray for you daily.

Sorry to hear you have another mountain to climb, but I know you will do it.

Take care, get strong and take one day at a time!
Dottie

Unknown said...

Dear Chuck and Pam,
I am relieved to hear that the surgery went well, but I'm so sorry to hear that you will have to do the chemotherapy treatment. But I am sure the doctors are doing the right thing; after that treatment there will be no chance that there is any lingering cancer. I wish that I could be there to give my support in person, but you will be in my prayers.
Love,
Kim Garey
kimgarey@gmail.com